From a horse and buggy to a baby in a buggy
A house for a horse and a house for a family? The two notions don't usually go hand in hand.
AMY JARVIS fills in the blanks about the interesting and unusual history of the ANU Buggy Shed.
Down towards Lake Burley Griffin stands a rudimentary little building.
It may not look like much to the untrained eye but inside it contains a thousand memories.
The Buggy Shed at Lennox Crossing on the ANU campus was built in 1913 to house a horse and a buggy - or carriage - as well as a feed store and harness room.
Its design was purely functional.
And so, it's hard to imagine a family of six once thrived within its walls.
Built to support the transportation needs of the occupants of the nearby cottage, who included a steady stream of public servants employed to establish the National Capital, the building we see today comprises two individual sheds back-to-back with a common back wall.
One shed was used by Cottage No 2, which was demolished during the 1970s, and the other by the Constable's Cottage (previously referred to as Cottage No 3).
In 1932, Constable's Cottage earned its current moniker when Constable Alfred Davies and his family moved in.
In 1937, Constable Hilton and his family made the cottage their home, cementing its name in the University's history books.
It was around this time that the Buggy Shed was slightly extended to accommodate a car, with horse-drawn carriages becoming a secondary, and soon defunct, form of transport.
The Hilton family still lived in the Constable's Cottage when, in 1958, the Jassó family took up residence in the Buggy Shed. Mrs M Hilton was their landlord.