Joan (left) and Doris Duffield planting the original orchard outside the partially constructed Director's Residence, 1928. Photo: Duffield Glass Plate Collection, Mount Stromlo Observatory Archives.

Joan (left) and Doris Duffield planting the original orchard outside the partially constructed Director's Residence, 1928. Photo: Duffield Glass Plate Collection, Mount Stromlo Observatory Archives.

Rebuilding an historic orchard

From the archives

Archives come to life to inform the restoration of a significant piece of landscaping history. Amy Jarvis and Jack Dunstan report.

It’s late 1927, and renderers and roof tilers are working hard on adding the finishing touches to Observatory House, soon to be the grand home of Mount Stromlo Observatory’s founding Director Walter Geoffrey Duffield and his young family.